Clinical Pastoral Education
To provide supervised clinical opportunities in pastoral care of patients, families and staff in accordance with standards of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education.
Five one-year residency positions in CPE are filled each year. A residency consists of three units of CPE while serving as a chaplain in the hospital, with a full curriculum under the supervision of the faculty of CPE supervisors. The residency positions pay a stipend, and include excellent benefits. The residency position begins at the end of August each year. A residency in Supervisory CPE is also offered. Theological education and a minimum of one unit of CPE are prerequisites for application. Those interested should contact the Pastoral Care office for stipend amount. Residents have full employee benefits including health insurance and accrued time off.
Part-time extended unit
The CPE program offers two extended units each year, in the fall and spring. Designed for those not able to be in a full-time program, participants are often seminary students, parish ministers, and local chaplains. The time commitment includes 8 hours of class per week and one 10-hour clinical shift per week, with one additional 10-hour clinical shift per month.
Full-time summer unit
An 11-week program of CPE is offered each summer and at least one time during the year. Summer programs typically run from the first week in June to mid-August, a good time for seminarians and others to do a unit of CPE. It includes 10 hours a week in structured educational experiences and 30 hours a week in ministry to patients, families and staff.
- Chaplain Residency Program: August 13, 2018 - August 16, 2019; 40-45 hours per week, including day shifts and one evening shift, and/or weekend shift per week. Additionally, one 10-hour overnight shift every fifth week. Stipend of $33,280, medical insurance at employee rates, free parking, and meal card provided.
- Fall Extended Program: August 27, 2018 - January 31, 2019; Eight class hours on Mondays; 10 clinical hours each week (with 10 additional clinical hours per month)
- Summer Intensive Program: June 3, 2019 - August 15, 2019; 10 seminar hours and 30 clinical hours each week, including day, evening, and/or weekend shifts as assigned.
- Spring Extended Program: January 7, 2019 - May 28, 2019; Eight class hours each week; two 10-hour clinical shifts each week
- Supervisory Education: Positions open at various time. Contact center.
- A completed ACPE application. Click here for ACPE Forms & Applications
- An admissions interview
- Member in good standing of a faith group/religious community
- Residents must have successfully completed one unit of CPE in an ACPE accredited center.
- Supervisory education students must meet ACPE standards
- $35 non-refundable application fee - Checks payable to Tampa General Hospital (applied to tuition if accepted into the CPE program)
- Upon acceptance a $200 non-refundable acceptance fee is due. This fee will be applied to tuition.
- Tuition: $400 for initial unit at Tampa General, following units are $100.
All CPE programs at TGH meet the standards of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE)
Telephone: (404) 320-1472
Consult the ACPE web site at http://www.acpe.edu for more information. ACPE is recognized as an accrediting agency in the field of clinical pastoral education by the U.S. Secretary of Education, through the U.S. Department of Education.
For further information about any CPE programs at TGH please contact TGH’s CPE Coordinator, the Rev. Jenny Sumner Carswell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Pastoral Care Tampa General Hospital
P.O. Box 1289 Tampa, FL 33601
Phone: (813) 844-7063
Fax: (813) 844-1085
Links for Additional CPE and Chaplaincy Information