West Florida Health will redefine health and wellness for the community by expanding the continuum of care available throughout Tampa Bay.
TAMPA, FL (Jan 9, 2015) – The top two ranked healthcare providers in the state of Florida, Tampa General Hospital and Florida Hospital, officially announced the name of their jointly owned not-for-profit company, West Florida Health. Since the formal partnership announcement in September 2013, the new company established a board of directors and started developing plans for new health care services in the greater Tampa Bay area. Officials of both hospitals stress the new company does not constitute a merger of existing hospital operations, or the sale of either one.
“Our mission is to continue to build on the expertise of Tampa General and Florida Hospital to provide accessible, affordable care to our communities. West Florida Health allows us to combine resources, provide more efficient and cost-effective care while still meeting the healthcare needs of the community,” said Mike Schultz, President and CEO of Florida Hospital West Florida Region.
Over the next 12 months, West Florida Health will focus on three key initiatives. First, the company will break ground this year on an outpatient medical center located on South Falkenburg Road in Brandon, Florida. It will offer a broad range of medical services, including a free-standing emergency room, ambulatory surgery center, imaging services, physical therapy, primary care and specialty physician offices, as well as community education and café spaces. The company is launching a new home care agency in February that will provide home care services in Hillsborough, Hernando, Pasco and portions of Sumter counties. It is also licensed in Pinellas County and plans to expand home care services there in the near future. West Florida Health has also submitted two certificate of need applications to provide hospice services in Hillsborough and Pasco counties.
“The concept is to move outpatient-based health care services directly into the communities where people live,” said Jim Burkhart, President and CEO of Tampa General Hospital. “Aligning these services with our two outstanding hospitals will give people the continuity of care that leads to better delivery of medical services in our community.” The West Florida Health Board of Directors includes:
- John A. Brabson, Jr., Chairman of the Board, West Florida Health President & CEO of Lykes Insurance Company Chairman of the Board, Tampa General Hospital
- Jeffrey N. Vinik Owner, Chairman & Governor of the Tampa Bay Lightning & Tampa Bay Storm
- Michael H. Schultz, President, West Florida Health President & CEO, Florida Hospital West Florida Region
- James R. Burkhart, Vice President, West Florida Health President & CEO of Tampa General Hospital
- Steve L. Short, Executive Vice President & CFO, Tampa General Hospital
- Lars D. Houmann, President & CEO, Florida Hospital and Florida Division of Adventist Health System
- Lewis A. Seifert, Senior Vice President of Finance, Florida Division of Adventist Health System and Senior Finance Officer, Florida Hospital West Florida Region
- Brian S. Adams, President & CEO, Florida Hospital Tampa and Florida Hospital at Connerton, Long Term Acute Care
West Florida Health is exploring several other initiatives and will continue to broaden its portfolio of health care services for the greater Tampa Bay community.
About West Florida Health West Florida Health is a jointly owned not-for-profit company and partnership between Florida Hospital and Tampa General Hospital. The vision of West Florida Health is to redefine health and wellness through its mission to build on the expertise of Tampa General and Florida Hospital to provide accessible, affordable care to the community. Florida Hospital West Florida Region is a 1,257-bed hospital system composed of 6 hospitals in Tampa Bay and 3 in the Sebring/Wauchula area. Florida Hospital is a state wide network of 23 hospitals and part of the Adventist Health System. Tampa General Hospital is a 1,018-bed academic medical center that serves as the region’s only center for Level I trauma care.
Jennifer McVan Director of Media Relations Florida Hospital West Florida Region (813) 373-9505 firstname.lastname@example.org
John Dunn, APR Director of Public Relations Tampa General Hospital (813) 924-2643 email@example.com