Seared tuna with avocado salsa verde is a super-simple summer dish that is elegant enough for entertaining, but quick enough for weeknight dinners.
- ⅔ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp. capers, drained
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- 4 (6-oz.) tuna steaks
- Combine cilantro, garlic, capers, lime juice, red pepper flakes, and ¼ tsp. each of the salt and black pepper in a blender or mini-food processor. Blend, gradually pouring in all but 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil, until mostly smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl; gently toss with diced avocado.
- Heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Rub tuna steaks with reserved 1 Tbsp. oil; sprinkle with remaining ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper. Cook the fish for 3 minutes. Turn and cook until desired degree of doneness; 3 minutes longer for medium rare.
- To serve, slice tuna steaks and spoon avocado salsa verde over the top.
Serving size: 1 tuna steak with ¼th of salsa Calories: 483 Fat: 32 gm Saturated fat: 4 gm Carbohydrates: 5 gm Sugar: 0 gm Sodium: 539 mg Fiber: 2 gm Protein: 43 gm
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and on her blog, Dishing Out Health.