Hemorrhoids Treatment at Tampa General Hospital
For many people, hemorrhoids cause only mild symptoms, such as discomfort or itching. Often, these symptoms will subside on their own and do not require medical intervention.
For others, home remedies are the hemorrhoids treatment of choice to help relieve symptoms. For example:
- Eating high-fiber foods may help to soften the stool, which can help prevent straining during bowel movements and further irritating hemorrhoids.
- Applying a cold compress to the affected region may help to temporarily reduce pain and swelling.
Other Types of Hemorrhoids Treatment
First, you should be screened for colorectal cancer, especially if you have persistent bleeding hemorrhoids. Being proactive about checking for colorectal cancer is in your best interest! Why? Because the earlier cancer is detected, the better, and the more options you may have for treatment.
Additionally, some of the treatments your physician may recommend include:
- Medications – After an examination, your physician may suggest over-the-counter or prescription medications, such as oral pain relievers or ointments, to relieve pain and itching and reduce swelling.
- Minimally invasive procedures – If you are experiencing persistent bleeding and painful hemorrhoids, there could be a number of treatment options that can be performed in an outpatient setting without anesthesia available to you. A few procedures include:
- Rubber band ligation, which involves tying off the base of a hemorrhoid to cut off circulation, causing it to wither and fall off
- Sclerotherapy, during which a chemical solution is injected into the hemorrhoid to shrink it
- Surgical procedures – If you have large hemorrhoids that haven’t responded to other treatments, your doctor may recommend:
- A hemorrhoidectomy, a procedure that requires small incisions around a hemorrhoid to remove it
- Hemorrhoid stapling, during which the surgeon staples prolapsed hemorrhoids into place inside the rectum; this cuts off the hemorrhoids’ blood supply so that they can shrink and be resorbed into the anal tissue
Treatment at Tampa General Hospital
Tampa General Hospital’s Endoscopy Center offers a full range of hemorrhoids treatment options. Our commitment to providing you and every patient with individualized care ensures the greatest likelihood of effective symptom relief.
Plus, because our multidisciplinary team includes physicians, surgeons, nurses, gastroenterologists and other medical professionals, we are prepared to treat you properly, regardless of your condition or its stage. These are just some reasons why TGH has earned recognition as one of America’s Best Hospitals in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery in 2020-2021 by U.S. News & World Report.