Understanding Elbow Replacement Surgery at Tampa General Hospital
If you are suffering from chronic pain or lack of mobility in the elbow, then undergoing elbow replacement surgery at Tampa General Hospital may be the solution to your aggravating symptoms. While elbow surgery is often only considered after conservative treatments (such as physical therapy) have proven ineffective, it may provide you with a significant increase in function and relief from pain, allowing you to resume certain activities that were previously off limits due to an elbow injury or condition.
Elbow Conditions that Might Warrant a Replacement
At Tampa General Hospital, we see and treat many conditions that often lead to elbow replacement surgery. Some of the most common conditions include:
- Osteoarthritis, an age-related degenerative joint condition characterized by thinning cartilage around the joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis, a condition marked by chronic inflammation in the joints that can eventually cause cartilage loss, as well as pain and stiffness
- Post-traumatic arthritis, a degenerative condition that may develop after a serious elbow injury, which may cause inflammation and cartilage loss over time
- Traumatic elbow injury, a severe fracture of one or multiple elbow bones
- Tennis elbow, damage caused by overuse to the tendons that join the forearm muscles on the outside of the elbow
What Makes Tampa General Hospital the Best Choice for Your Elbow Replacement Surgery?
As a high-volume orthopedic care center, Tampa General Hospital has the expertise necessary to provide care for patients who require an elbow replacement or joint replacement revision surgery. Our multidisciplinary approach to orthopedic care and fellowship-trained surgeons (who have been extensively trained in the specialty of orthopedics), among other reasons, has resulted in positive outcomes for our patients. We have even been recognized for our orthopedics program, including being named one of America’s Best Hospitals for Orthopedics and Best in Florida for Orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report for 2020-2021.
If you would like to learn more about elbow replacement surgery at Tampa General Hospital and how you can receive a referral to an orthopedic physician to discuss elbow replacement, use our online Physician Finder or calling us toll free at 1-800-822-DOCS (3627).